Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Virgin Queen

"I may not be a lion, but I am a lion's cub,
and I have a lion's heart"
Elizabeth I
(1533-1603)



"This is the Lord's doing and it is marvellous in our eyes"
(Biblical verse reputedly spoken in Latin by Elizabeth I when she received news of her accession to the throne)

"I have already joined myself in marriage to a husband, namely the kingdom of England"
(Elizabeth to Parliament)

"Better beggar woman and single than Queen and married"

"I will have here but one mistress and no master"
(Elizabeth to Robert Dudley)

I know I have the body of a weak and feeble woman, but I have the heart and stomach of a king.
(Tilbury speech, 1588)

"I have no desire to make windows into mens souls"
(A reference to the Catholic/Protestant issue)

"It is monstrous that the feet should direct the head"
(Elizabeth to Parliament)














No comments: